What is an SSL certificate ?
Secure Sockets Layer ( SSL abbreviation ) is a cryptographic protocol that provides secure communications on the Internet , such as Web browsing and e -mail communication. SSL is most commonly used to encrypt transactions of online stores (eg. credit card numbers ). Increasingly, the communication through secure connections also applies to other sites if confidential data is transmited through the web. If you want to secure your web pages via HTTPS protocol, your hosting provider will need to install one of the following SSL certificates:
- self-signed certificate, which is issued without any checks (therefore they are not trustworthy),
- DV SSL certificate, which is issued after verifying domain ownership,
- OV SSL certificate, which is issued after verification of the organization,
- EV SSL certificate, which is issued after verification of the organization in accordance with the highest standards.
A comparison of the basic features of the SSL authentication type:
|verification of ownership||verification of organization||standardized verification||degree of confidence|
|DV SSL certificate||YES||NO||NO||usual|
|OV SSL certificate||YES||YES||NO||high|
|EV SSL certificate||YES||YES||YES||very high|
|verification of ownership||NO|
|verification of organization||NO|
|degree of confidence||low|
|DV SSL certificate|
|OV SSL certificate|
|EV SSL certificate i|
|stopnja zaupanja||very high|
If your pages use a SSL certificate:
- which was not signed by a trusted organization,
- which has not been issued to the your domain,
- that has expired,
- which has been canceled (if there has been abuse)
… the visitors in most modern browsers will see a security warning like this:
Using a self-signed certificate is only acceptable for intranet use and for dvelepoment and testing, where the user is already familiar with website and trusts it.
We welcome you to contact us and enquire about SSL certificate solutions for your website.